Subject: Re: Changing root's shell to /bin/sh
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/15/1999 16:48:03
Hubert Feyrer sez:
/*
 *
 * With the recent removal of the toor account, it is appropriate to move
 * the root login-shell from csh to /bin/sh. Reasons for it are most
 * widespread base on all Unix systems and more intuitive command line
 * handling over csh.

Hm.  /bin/csh as root's login shell was one of the things I'd come to expect
under BSD -- SysV was the only one lame enough to keep it as /bin/sh in
the first place.

I never understood 'toor' anyway, so _that_'s no problem.

As long as you don't mandate it (there was one OS that did!), I guess it's
not a real problem.  It just means that if I do a mass installation I get
to write an ed script to go and tweak /etc/master.passwd.

 * After discussion with a few developers, I've committed this change.

I think you should have discussed it with more than a few, but that's
probably just me.

 * Please let us know if you have any troubles. :)

Only in the historical sense.

 *  - Hubert
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Rule #1:
    If you can't interrupt it, terminate it.