Subject: Re: building current
To: None <joe@mediaone.net>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@labitzke.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/1999 00:53:25
Hello...

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> The only glitch is that I haven't figured out exactly how to
> use the building in a separate obj directory. I could just try

You probably want to set the variable WRKOBJDIR in /etc/mk.conf to an
existing directory under which you want to find the object hierarchy of
the build. After that and before doing a build you issue a "make obj" in
/usr/src and the hierarchy of obj-directories gets build under WRKOBJDIR
with the corresponding symbolic links in the /usr/src-hierarchy. Each
following build will use the objectdirectories.

There are two things (beside the "normal" build-problems of current) to
look after: 1st, you should have issued a "make cleandir" before the "make
obj" to be sure, that your source tree is clean of object or other derived
files. Otherwise you might get failures, because files in the source
directories will be used for following builds, but canīt be updated. And
2nd, you should consider the possibility that the latest sup created new
subdirectories and you might need new object directories in them. I do a
"make obj" before each build.

I hope that helps,

bye, Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)