Subject: Re: '/dev/reload'
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1999 16:12:49
On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:30:27AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> > So, NetBSD/Amiga at least used to have a '/dev/reload', and if you copied
> > a kernel to it, it rebooted to that kernel, but it bypassed all the normal
> > reset behavior.  I think this depended on a fairly similar locore.s.
>
> /dev/reload has never worked on part of the NetBSD/Amiga supported machines,
> and seems even more broken nowadays, and if I felt authoritative enough,
> I'd just nuke it now that we have bootblocks.

  The only time I've had problems with /dev/reload is when the locore.s
gets out of synch with the running kernel.  I tried to fix that problem
once and ended up with an unbootable kernel for some reason.

  I have one system that can't boot from bootblocks [at least until I can
fix the AmigaDOS driver and burn a new PROM] and it's much faster to use
/dev/reload than to reboot into AmigaDOS and boot NetBSD from there.

Michael
---
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant