Subject: Re: building current
To: None <joe@mediaone.net, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ask Dr. Stupid <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/1999 11:21:18
I'll second the request (unless there's one on the site somewhere), as the
build doc (which I had _finally_ perfected!) has become obsolete due to the
new ELF stuff (which, I last heard, was nearing (but had not quite attained)
functionality on SPARC).

At this point, actually, I'm quite reluctant to attempt a new build for fear
of destroying my system (I don't have the luxury of an alternate installation
space) if ELF turns out not to work.

Questions from a paranoid nonchromatic lupine:

	1.  Are ELF and a.out formats currently supported simultaneously
	    or is ELF going to functionally eclipse a.out?

	2.  Is there a relatively foolproof method for building in the
	    interim for someone who has no alternate build space available?

The instructions I *was* using are below (thanks to Håvard Eidnes for
this) -- I check mtimes on this stuff before doing it, as this was
written for someone converting from 1.2(?) to -current.

	- rebuild and install config
	- configure new kernel and reboot with it
	- rebuild and install make
	- install new /usr/share/mk
	- rebuild and install lex and yacc
	- rebuild new binutils (don't install)
	- make includes in lib/bfd
	- rebuild lib/bfd.  This will fail because of using the old
	  ld.  Build manually with 'ld -x -Bshareable -Bforcearchive
	  -o libbfd.so.2.0 libbfd_pic.a' (old ld doesn't grok --whole-archive)
	- install libbfd
	- remake binutils (causes relink), install
	- build and install ld.aout_so (might be wise to save the old one)
	- build and install ld (might be wise to save the old one)
	- build and install libedit
	- build and install /bin/sh
	- rebuild the compiler (egcs), possibly twice for good measure.

				--*greywolf;
--
Microshaft:  Where do you want to crash today?