Subject: Re: NetBSD Copyright
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1999 09:36:59
On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:11:47 -0500 (EST)
 woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:

 >  * 3. The following acknowledgement must appear in printed documentation
 >  * accompanying a physical distribution of a collective work including
 >  * this software, and must appear in a file accompanying an electronic
 >  * distribution of a collective work including this software:
 >  *
 >  *	This product includes software developed by Greg A. Woods.

We've already been around the block with a clause like this before,
and purged all code from the tree that had a clause like this.

This is NOT like the TNF/UCB clause 3.  There is a very important
difference.  The TNF/UCB clause 3 requires the attribution to be
made in _advertising_ materials _only_ if those materials mention
features provided by the software or mention use of the software.

IMO, your clause 3 kills the entire thing.