Subject: GNOME 1.0 on -current (was Re: pkgsrc: imlib >= 1.9.0 on NetBSD-current)
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: NJ Verenini <nverenin@spunet.dynip.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1999 08:26:06
Matthias Scheler wrote:

> In article <36E0B468.8B2A6972@spunet.dynip.com>,
>         NJ Verenini <nverenin@spunet.dynip.com> writes:
> > I basically have all of GNOME-1.0 running except for the imlib
> > brokenness.
>
> How does this brokeness show up? Is "panel" seg faulting for you?
>
> --
> Matthias Scheler                                http://home.owl.de/~tron/

Actually, yes. But I really have (had) two separate problems with the
GNOME stuff:

- libgmodule did not work when compiled under my current (990217). Had
to compile it on 1.3.3 and install it. This got gdk_imlib working.

- segfaults in the gnome stuff, in particular panel. After cleanly
rebuilding everything from gtk on up and adding some debug msgs to
gdk_imlib, libgnome, and panel, running panel renders this output:

Unable to connect to server port 35091
This generally means that the program could not talk to the esound
server
panel: Initialized CORBA.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
panel: Starting initialization.
panel: Initialized menus.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
gdk_imlib: This image is a png.
panel: Initialized user_panels.
panel: Initialized user_applets.
libgnomeui: Calling gnome_triggers_vdo
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

So, imlib works ok, but there is something bad going on in libgnome*.
This segfault pops up all over the GNOME stuff (gnome-help-browser, for
instance), but interestingly those cases do not call gnome_triggers_vdo,
which suggests that the problem may be underneath libgnome.

I suspect some kind of compiler lossage, but this is just a guess. Also,
I have not built the GNOME stuff under 1.3.3 to see if the behavior is
the same.

--
http://spunet.dynip.com/
nverenin@spunet.dynip.com