Subject: Please test BIOS device matching code (i386)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1999 02:59:10
I have added some code that attempts to match BIOS disks with NetBSD
ones. This is not possible in all cases, but at least having
all the information about the BIOS' notion of disks available
is a big win during the installation.

I would love to hear from people how this code works for them. What
you need to do to test:

	* if you run -current:
		* Update your sources after the next update
		  of the SUP/ftp servers.
		* Build the new bootblocks and install them
		  (back up the old ones to be safe). To do
		  this:
			* cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand
			* make
			* make install
			* /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdec/biosboot.sym <disk>
			  where <disk> is the raw device of your root
			  partition (e.g. /dev/rwd0a)
		* build a new kernel
		* reboot
		* Get ftp.netbsd.org:/ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/geometry/geom.c
		  compile it, run it, and see if the output is correct for
		  your system. It will print a list of BIOS disks, and
		  a list of NetBSD devices, showing which matches which.

	* All other cases, or if you think the above is too complicated:

		* ftp.netbsd.org:/ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/geometry/match.fs.gz
		  contains a bootfloppy image with nothing but a kernel,
		  init(8), /etc/rc, the testprogram and halt(8) on it. It
		  will boot, run the testprogram, and halt the system again.
		  Look at the output, and see if it is correct for your system.

Please tell me about any inconsistencies that you might see. I am especially
interested in systems with SCSI disks as their first harddisk, or systems
with both IDE and SCSI drives. However, information on all other systems
is also very welcome. If you send a report to me, please include information
such as the type of BIOS you have.

Thanks for testing,

- Frank