Subject: Thank you, NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@linkdead.paranoia.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/1999 00:54:39
Thanks to everyone on core, port maintainers, supporting cast, advocates,
third-party software developers, FAQ maintainer(s), general helpful
answer-giving people, and anybody else I might have left out.

I've been using BSD Unix since 386BSD 0.1, fought with the patchkit,
switched over to NetBSD after the drama with its authors, watched the
AT&T lawsuit bring things to a crawl, saw the meteoric rise of Linux,
and to be honest, regretted my choice more than once.  However, people
have learned to deal with the identity crisis the other free Unices
caused (the source of many OS holy wars, I suspect), and NetBSD seems
to have leveraged itself out of (what I perceived to be) a rut.

I'm glad to see the security list come into being.  It is great to see
projects like IPv6 and raidframe taking off.  Sharing/taking code
with/from other Unices (e.g. rnd(4)) is also quite encouraging.

The package-related emails are a great way of finding out about new
and most importantly, frequently-used software (count the updates).

It could be that NetBSD was always under this rate of progress,
but now those of us who are not up to our ears in the code can
get a feel for it.  If anything, now I am having trouble keeping up
with the changes; information overload is no fun for an overworked
control freak but it definitely beats stagnation.

--
 Heartfelt Thanks...  VaX#n8
``We thought you were dead.''