Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Kenneth D. Merry <ken@plutotech.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/1999 15:40:27
To be clear, Intel is a simple case - all they really do is hardware, so
the incentives for them are clear.

Sun has conflicting divisions, SMCC on one hand wanting to sell as much
hardware as they can, and SunSoft, on the other hand, wanting Solaris on
all that hardware. It takes a strong-willed CEO to allow divisons to
compete like that on a more than momentary (i.e. one quarter after an
announcement, maybe) basis. I watched Apple do the dance this way, and also
as a "we're all one company" way several times in the years I was there.

Our play, as "alternative OS purveyors," is to keep in touch with the
hardware people who want to drive more hardware sales, and avoid (unless
courted) the software people with whom we (effectively) compete. That's how
we can get hardware documentation, and other support from these vendors.
Gotta know which side their bread is buttered on...

	Erik <fair@clock.org>