Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Wojtek <wojtek@wojtek.prointer.pl>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/1999 15:28:01
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Wojtek wrote:
>> if FreeBSD were to have divested to multiple platforms as NetBSD has done,
>> NetBSD would no longer exist.  We need to focus on what might appeal not
>> so much _in place of_ <X>, but _adjunct to_ <X>, where <X> would be
>> "The New Preferred Operating Environment", and we need to appeal to it in
>> a big enough way that we can earn the same commercial support that Linux
>> has won.  If we don't support the apps ("compatibility mode" doesn't really
>Do you really want to be Most Popular, or to be very good?
>With today's users knowlege and habits it's probably impossible.

  Problem is, the issue isn't "most popular"...it's "popular at all".  If we
don't become more visible, more user-friendly (though we've been making good
progress with that) and more...well, "attractive" to users, this project will
be reduced to a historical curiosity with a pack of raving mad followers.

  Linux is taking over.  Read the newspapers.  It's kicking the crap out of NT
in the server world in terms of reliability, usability, productivity, and
market growth.  However, I don't think many people *here* would put Linux in
the computer room...I like linux a LOT and I know I sure wouldn't.  But other
people are, and I believe it's because it's accessible, friendly, easy to use,
and more reliable.  At the very least, IN PERCEPTION.  And folks, perception is
what counts if we don't want to go the way of the dinosaur.

  NetBSD is, as we all know, very well-suited for use in a mission-critical
production environment.  My company depends on close to 100 NetBSD/sparc
systems right now, and that number is growing every day.  But the problem
is...WE know it can do the job, but NOBODY ELSE DOES.

  How do we solve this problem?

                                  -Dave McGuire