Subject: Re: Userland PPP
To: dustin sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/18/1999 02:34:43
dustin sallings writes:

> 	I've run userland ppp in NetBSD.  I can't remember why, but I had
> a reason at one point.  I can't think of a good reason to run userland
> ppp.  It's *by far* more efficient in the kernel, and all of the rest of
> the network interfaces are in the kernel, so I don't see what's wrong with
> it.

I'd like to run PPP over an ip connection.  In particular over a port
redirected via ssh to a machine at work.  Our current pppd will only
run over a tty device, AFAICT.  If it is possible to run ppp over a
socket without the userland ppp implementation, I would like to know
about it!

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.