Subject: Re: traceroute as a flooder (fwd)
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/1999 17:05:33
On 16 Feb 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

> >     the source address it's going to use is an address from a local
> >     interface that's up and not marked loopback.
>
> This breaks functionality for me.  I use aliases on lo0 rather than on
> specific interfaces.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way around this right off-hand.
There's no real way to tell whether an address on a loopback
interface is a valid address for the network.

Certainly we can't leave things as they are, however. Nor can we
allow random users to generate return addresses of 127.0.0.1. I
suppose we could allow loopback interface addresses, but disallow
127.* addresses. But I'm not terribly keen on that, because it's
more work (for me to write :-)) and because I'm not convinced all
other loopback interface addresses would be valid.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org