Subject: Re: inter-shlib dependencies ?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/1999 16:37:11
Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>
> : Is this true for all NetBSD archs -- i.e. for ELF and something
> : other than i386 ?
>
> Only on ELF.  This is *not* true for any a.out platform, including i386.

Ok. It works for me. By ``it'' I mean:

1. write code (say function ``foo'') which calls function (say ``foo_yy''
	defined in library ``yy''

2. create a shared library from it, by:
	ld -Bshareable -o libxx.so.1.0 some.o -lyy

3. create simple app and link it against xx _only_:
	> cat main.c
	void main() { foo(); }
	> cc main.o -lxx
4. run it and watch it's okay and does it's job

Now, if ``xx'' would be linked as
	ld -Bshareable -o libxx.so.1.0 some.o

the same application would fail with something like
/usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_foo_yy_" in a.out:./libxx.so.1.0

So this sounds like working. Am  I really confused here ?

> Because this cannot be guaranteed to be uniform on all NetBSD platforms.

pkglibtool guarantees uniform interface, not function, IMHO.

--
Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>	http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?