Subject: Re: sysinst, two more notes
To: Eric Delcamp <e.delcamp@wanadoo.fr>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/14/1999 14:39:55
On Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 01:29:09PM +0100, Eric Delcamp wrote:
> >A suggestion: When installing NetBSD from scratch and using the entire disk,
> >why not doing the "dd" trick automatically?  What is there to lose?  I have
> >been bitten by the same problem twice now - the first time it wasn't too
> >easy to figure out what the problem was, but this time I knew better.  I
> >know about this now and I can do "dd" before installing anything, but this
> >can be a real problem to users who don't know what the problem is.
>
> If you have two or more disks, and want to dedicate one to NetBSD, I think
> that erasing bootblock is not a good idea. Better is an option in the sysinst
> menu to "install NetBSD bootblock".

Well, option is better than nothing..  Maybe someone could explain why the
current install system doesn't write the boot program in the boot blocks
(or WHAT is it that goes wrong - the only way to make things work seems to
be to wipe the disk clean and THEN do the install)?

> Yes it's difficult, but you have a US keyboard ;-) By default, I have a French
> Keyboard, and settings options in vi (where is the "$", is it 3 or 4 ? And the
> "_" ?) is not an easy task. Replication of configuration files is a good idea.

We use Finnish/Swedish keyboards here, so we need to guess the US keymap,
too ;-)  (Well, you get used to it after a while..)

wscons has the support for localized keymaps in kernel, but this won't help
you if you're using the GENERIC kernel with a US keymap, of course..
(And I still haven't figured out how to define the Alt+key combonations
for wscons..)

> One more thing, on the network setup, I didn't see a DHCP option. I have cable
> modem, and couldn't guess all the parameters (and don't know them). Is there
> enough free space on the install disk ?

The install disk is now two disks, it seems (in -current), so I guess there
should be plenty of space..

  -jm