Subject: Re: hesiod uid lookups.
To: Greg Hudson <ghudson@MIT.EDU>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/12/1999 09:48:12
Greg Hudson writes:
> >  2) If Athena/MIT (or anyone else) do it differently, where can we
> >     specify which map to look up user id's in?  /etc/hesiod.conf would
> >     seem to be the obvious place, but it's gen/getpwent.c that needs
> >     to know the map and not the general hesiod routines.  Having
> >     gen/getpwent.c also parsing /etc/hesiod.conf seems ... tacky.
>
> There's always the runtime approach of looking for <uid>.uid and then
> <uid>.passwd if that fails with ENOENT.  But of course it sucks not
> being able to inform the library that only one lookup will be
> necessary, like you can do with the IN/HS screw.

As I suggested to Simon on the phone, the simplest work-around would
probably be to edit named.boot on the ULTRIX server and add a line
for uid as a copy of passwd. for example:
	primary	passwd.DOMAIN	hs/passwd.db
	primary	uid.DOMAIN	hs/passwd.db

This would require removing of the $origin line in hs/passwd.db though.

This is a gross hack, but it requires no local code modifications.