Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: None <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1999 19:13:09
>Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:06:24 -0800 (PST)
>From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.Stanford.EDU>
>
>On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, maximum entropy wrote:
>
>> There's no way anyone can convince me that refusing to grep such a
>> file by default is The Right Thing.  As somebody else stated earlier
>> in this thread: if I wanted that sort of stupidity, I'd be running
>> Windows.
>
>Wait! We aren't discussing NOT grepping these file, we're discussing
>changing the output when grepping such a file.

$ man grep

GREP(1)                                                   GREP(1)

NAME
       grep, egrep, fgrep - print lines matching a pattern

If it doesn't print the _lines_ matching the pattern, grep is refusing
to perform the function I expect it to perform.  To me, that would
mean it is "not grepping" the files.

The definition of a "line" may not apply well to all binary files.
But the files I'm dealing with are "text enough" for this to work as
it always has.  With the new heuristic in place for deciding which
files are binary, it won't work as it always has.