Subject: Re: GATEWAY option does not work?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Newhouse <newhouse@pimin.rockhead.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1999 12:25:25
"Olli" <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de> wrote:

>I tryed to compile the kernel with if-forwarding (the computer should
>be a router). In the kernel config-file I placed following:
>
>options    GATEWAY
>options    IPFORWARDING
>options    IPFORWSCRT=1
>
>After installing the new kernel and booting I made the command:
>
>sysctl -a | grep forw
>
>-> net.inet.ip.forwarding=0
>-> net.inet.ip.forwsrcrt=1
>
>Why is the ip-forwarding not enabled? I don't understand it!

Just guessing but, the GATEWAY option turns on IPFORWARDING.  If IPFORWARDING is
a toggle then by mentioning IPFORWARDING you toggle it off?

I just specify GATEWAY and it seems to work for me. Have you tried:

   Note that IP forwarding may be turned on and off independently of the setting of the
   IPFORWARDING option through the use of the net.inet.ip.forwarding sysctl
   variable.  If net.inet.ip.forwarding is 1, IP forwarding is on.  See
   sysctl(8) and sysctl(3) for details.

As stated in the "man options" page.

Good luck,
Paul