Subject: Re: floppy and cd-rom access and cd-rw drive
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Dean Huxley <dean@huxley.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1999 13:00:11
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 11:37:45AM -0700, Fusie Zhang wrote:
> > is there any more convenient way of accessing the cd-rom or floppy drive
> > than mount and umount them every time a new media is put in these drives.
>
> man amd.
> less /usr/share/examples/amd/cd /usr/share/examples/amd/master
>
>         -is

That handles the automatic mount, but what about the automatic umount when
the media is replaced?  I thought amd only unmounted after a certain amount
of idle time...  If you had to go through a bunch of CD's, would amd be
smart enough to know when you replaced the media?  I don't have a CDROM
currently installed to try this, but I'm curious to know if amd handles
media changes.

I think Fusie might be looking for something like Solaris's vold(1M) volume
management daemon.

Cheers,
Dean.