Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/1999 07:57:03
maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com> writes:

> Invert the meaning of the flag, if it's going to be added at all.

I tend to agree.  I started this discussion by saying how I like to
grep for configuration data in /etc, and sometimes get lots and lots
of garbage output when there's a match in a .db file.  If I can give
grep some flag that makes it not output the garbage, that would do it
for me.

Actually, instead of "spwd.db: binary file matches", it would be nice
to get a normal grep output line, but with the output limited to the
actual character string in the binary file that held the match.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"