Subject: Re: aic-7895
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 10:00:46
In message <199902081552.IAA08993@pluto.plutotech.com>, "Justin T. Gibbs" write
s:
>>I noticed that 1.3.3 doesn't recognize this controller, but really, it's just
>>a pair of 7880's.

>Really it's not.  The mechanism used by the NetBSD aic7xxx driver for
>queuing transactions to the firmware will not work on this or any other
>aic789X chip since the Q{IN/OUT}FIFO registers don't exist there.  The
>latest firmware uses a different, more efficient, mechanism on all
>chips.

The 7895 isn't a 789x.  At least, the BSD/OS driver, which does *NOT* support
the 7890, works fine on it, by probing it as if it were two 7880's.  It's
not an ultra 2, it's a dual-channel.

The 7895 is really just a 3940 on a motherboard.

(And I think Adaptec should be shot for giving it a number that looks like
a 789x.)

-s