Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 12:48:44
On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 12:16:40PM +0100, Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no wrote:
> (Ok, I agree, there's more to it than that, as both the mbr
> partition table geometry, the BIOS geometry and the disklabel
> geometry play into this.  It looks like sysinst gets its "BIOS"
> geometry from fdisk, which in turns uses the mbr partition table,
> which may not coincide with what the BIOS actually thinks (?)...)

Right. This problem can be fixed, and will be soon (i.e. before 1.4),
by getting the information from the BIOS and matching it with
NetBSD devices.

> I think it's sort of a reasonable limitation that your boot
> partition part of NetBSD has to reside within the first 8GB of a
> drive, and we should document that limitation and implement
> something in sysinst which prevents the user from putting himself
> in violation of that limitation.

I think it should be possible to do this, but the user should be
warned that this partition can probably only be booted via a
bootselector. Which we then should offer to install.

- Frank