Subject: Re: Large Disks / Clean Install
To: None <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr, Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
From: Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 02/08/1999 12:38:03
> > The geometry of this label will also be cropped to 16383 cylinders,
> > and this will in most cases restrict the available space to a little
> > under 8GB.
>
> Is the number total of sectors also cropped ? If not it should be easy to

No, at least with my disk (see below) only the number of cylinders is
to small. This is a dmesg output:
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC AC310100B>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd0: 9671MB, 16383 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 19807200 sectors
wd0: 32-bits data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2

So I suggest that sysinst recomputes the number of cylinders from
the total of sectors, head, and sectors per track, if it has
to disklabel a virgin disk.

Wolfgang