Subject: Re: MFS on swap on file
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1999 16:24:12
On Feb 5, Martin Husemann wrote
> I don't have a wd0d - the disk is FAT only, no disklabel, just the
> autogenerated dynamic one, and I definitively don't want any content of the
> disk be destroyed by swap, besides the swapfile.

wd0d is the raw partition (on i386, wd0c on other ports), it is always here.

> Why does mount_mfs need a special part of the available swap at all? What
> I would like to say is "go and get XXX MB of the swap space available now,
> I don't care which one".

You're confusing "swap space" and "virtual memory" here. MFS really use
virtual memory, you can setup one without swap at all.
A disk device is needed so that mount_mfs can get a geometry, I think.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>