Subject: Re: XFree86 and WSCONS
To: None <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/1999 14:47:47 wrote:
> said:
> >  my old X server started complaining about the absence of both pccons
> > and pcvt.  Do I have to build X from the newer sources or is there a
> > way to have my already installed version work with wscons?
> If you have the compat options
> options 	WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_PCVT		# emulate some ioctls
> options 	WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_USL		# VT handling
> options 	WSDISPLAY_COMPAT_RAWKBD		# can get raw scancodes
> in your config file, pcvt is emulated sufficiently for X.
> With old servers, you'll only need to make some symlinks
> /dev/ttyv* -> /dev/ttyE*.

Well, last time I upgraded to -current, old servers didn't work
with wscons even when those options were set and even new Xservers
(compiled on fully -current system) didn't work _without_ them.

Is anybody working on adding "real" support for wscons into X so that
the compat options won't be needed ?

Jaromir Dolecek <>
It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.