Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 23:34:37
>I also have a genericstable.db and virtusertable.db on a couple of
>machines. To move those would require our sendmail build to diverge
>sharply from other Un*xen.

i also.  and an access.db as well.  but you could simply add

to your .mc file.  that "almost" works, but for

   m4 ../m4/cf.m4 >

which includes cfhead.m4 before your file, which is where ALIAS_FILE
(and confCW_FILE and confCR_FILE, although the latter of the two
doesn't seem to have the same problem (i won't pretend to completely
understand m4 (just enough to amuse my friends))) get defined.  but

   define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/mail/aliases')

doesn't quite work, so you'd still have to hack the .cf file to
completely switch over to /etc/mail.  which does have a "certain"
appeal once you start adding all the cool features and the associated
file pairs.