Subject: Re: Suggestion: keep binary data out of /etc
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 15:17:29
On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 08:34:55PM +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Good point.  I guess I've been assuming that the .db files are not
> actually required, but just used if present, to speed up access.

It's not completely clear from the man pages... The pwd_mkdb man page
seems to indicate that they're required. My quick perusal of the getpwent
doesn't show me what it wants to use... It looks like they're not used
if you're using YP, but that's just a guess.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             ((  "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  ))  build  their nest  with fragments  dropped