Subject: Re: C++ q: constructors not called for classes in shared lib ?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/1999 11:16:15
On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:

: > I'll look at the PR, but ld will *not* be changed, as that is a very
: > nonstandard way of doing things.
:
: Nonstandard for NetBSD or nonstandard for whole word ?

For the world.  `I don't care what FreeBSD does.'

Now, it could be possible to fix up "cc -shared" (note that this is not ld)
to do that; "cc -shared" has never worked properly on a.out systems (so the
fix wouldn't break anything), and does add crtbeginS and crtendS already on
ELF systems.

: It's just a bit un-intuitive having to add some special object file
: when linking C++ shared library in order for static constructors
: to work.

That's just how it works.