Subject: Re: i386 snapshot 990131
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1999 19:01:01
On Feb 3, Jukka Marin wrote
> Having problems with the i386 snapshot of Jan 31:
>
> - When I start an xterm, I can only type with CAPS ON (ie. everything works
>   as if capslock was on.).  Hitting capslock does not help (the capslock LED
>   goes on and off, but wscons (or whatever) doesn't obey it).

I don't have this problem on my desktop ...

> - When I click on the logout button in KDE, KDE asks if I want to log out
>   (ok), but when I click OK, the system locks up.  Hard disk LED stays on
>   and I can no longer ping the machine (so it's completely dead).  I have to
>   power off to get the machine up again.  I have 48 MB of RAM and 256 MB
>   of swap (on a separate partition), so I'm not running out of memory, at
>   least.

Do you have DDB in your kernel ?
If so try to turn of ddd_onpanic (sysctl) to get a core dump (maybe) ...

> - I can't switch between virtual consoles.  Alt-ctrl-Fn doesn't work.  Does
>   wsconsole use some other key combination?

No, it should be this. "works for me ....".

> - On my laptop (ThinkPad 310E), when XFree blanks the screen, the backlight
>   stays on.  When I boot the machine in single user mode, the screen saver
>   turns off the backlight as well.  Any ideas how I could make XFree do the
>   same?

I guess this is a power management issue. In text mode it should be the BIOS
who turns off the screen. Try to disable xfree's screen saver, and let the bios
do it ...