Subject: Sysinst niggles (Jan 03 sparc snapshot)
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1999 16:23:31
I've just installed the Jan 03 sparc snapshot and come across a few minor
niggles with sysinst.

I noticed that if you change the offset and size of a partition, enter a
new offset and just press enter for the size (I hoped it would keep the
current value), the size gets the same value as the offset.  The code
(menus.mi.eng:menu edfspart) looks like :

    msg_prompt_add (MSG_offset, NULL, buf, 40);
    start = NUMSEC(atoi(buf),sizemult,dlcylsize);
    msg_prompt_add (MSG_size, NULL, buf, 40);
    size = NUMSEC(atoi(buf),sizemult,dlcylsize);

It would be quite nice if you could pass in some default values (ideally
the previous values) somehow.

The second thing was a bit more of a problem.  The machine concerned (Sparc
IPC) only has an AUI port, so the network media setting defaults to 10Base5.
However, proceeding to set up the network generates :

    ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA:  Invalid argument

and the ethernet is not set up.  I presume the error comes from
(sys/net/if_media.c:ifmedia_ioctl) :

	if (ifp == NULL || ifr == NULL || ifm == NULL)
		return(EINVAL);

I suppose this is really an ifconfig problem, but I'm not sure if the problem
is with the media code or the sparc ethernet code.  A work around is to enter
a space character for the media type.

This last thing is that you can't retreive sets via ftp if the password
contains an '@' character - obvious once you see that the code is :

    ret = run_prog(0, 1, "/usr/bin/ftp ftp://%s:%s@%s/%s/%s" ,
        ftp_user, ftp_pass, ftp_host, ftp_dir, filename);

It took me a while to spot this because the screen clears before the 'press
<return> to continue' prompt.

What?  Where?