Subject: Re: NetBSD/i386 Jan 31 1999 snapshot
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: None <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1999 16:03:20
jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi said:
> I untarred the snapshot and ended up with a machine that had no getty
> running on the console and no network configured...... :)

So you got a kernel with wscons (does this mean the snapshot's
GENERIC is already the -current one?).
You'll need device special files for it and /etc/ttys entries.
The former are generated by "sh MAKEDEV all", the latter you'll
probably have to change yourself. Look at -current's etc/etc.i386/ttys
prototype. (I changed this later, so perhaps the shapshot came
in-between?) The /dev/ttyE0... entries are for wscons.

> Also, how do I set a Scandinavian keyboard for wscons?  "man wscons" wasn't
> too helpful, I'm afraid. :(

There is a "wsconscfg" and a "wsconsctl", both with manpages.
I'll add an xref.
(Is danish scandinavian enough?:-)
Keyboard maps can be set by "wsconsctl -w encoding=xx", but
there is no finnish keymap yet.
If you can make sense of the tables in sys/dev/pckbc/wskbdmap_mfii.c,
you can send me one, and I'll integrate it.

best regards
Matthias