Subject: Re: Feature idea...
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/1999 14:26:24
>(or will when I finish rewriting the config files); the old had NCSA httpd,
>the new has Apache (or will when... ;-) )).  But there are a lot of little
>fiddly files to adjust even in a base configuration and it was a pain having
>to chase them all down one at a time.

You might like to have a look at

	http://www.quick.com.au/FreeWare/configs.html

its a generic UNIX config tool.  We use it to configure systems
at several sites, so that recardless of the OS, Hardware, etc etc
most things simply work.  So you might just run

/configs/update_file -l www.list

to install a web server and rovide it with your site specific standard
setup - the actuall httpd would simply be the most preferred on for the
particular platform you ran the command on.

The modules in config.d handle moving files, removing files, installing
files from files, dirs, archives (cpio, tar compressed or not) from
packages if supported, changing permissions etc etc
On Solaris it also handles installing patches

Some of the above is overkill for many sites, but we use it to make
building firewalls a repeatable process.

Its been in use here and at some of my client sites for at least 4
years so its been pretty well tested :-)

--sjg