Subject: Re: Feature idea...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@mediaone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1999 17:52:12
In message <199902021909.LAA25953@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason spake thusly:

-> dhclient(8) can already do this for you!  dhclient allows you to configure
-> "static leases" which it will try if it doens't discover any DHCP service
-> on the network you're plugged into.
->
-> So, I have configured static leases for the network at work (no DHCP) and
-> the network at a friend's house.  (I use DHCP for my laptop at home.)
->
-> I have configured dhclient to try DHCP for 10 seconds, then start checking
-> the static leases.  It does this by pinging the default router for each
-> lease.  When it gets a response, it binds to that static lease.  You can
-> then have it invoke an arbitrary script (default is /etc/dhcliet-script)
-> when that lease is bound.

This sounds rather nice... Would you be up to putting this up on the NetBSD
web server as an example (along the lines of Ken's APM config stuff)??

I'm sure some reading of the FM would enable you to set this up, but this
seems spiffy enough to codify it someplace.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                  rafal@mediaone.net