Subject: Re: Feature idea...
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/1999 15:19:50
In message <87k8y0wukm.fsf@redmail.redback.com>, Chris G. Demetriou writes:
>I don't see why that's really necessary if all you want is to work
>correctly between those two environments.

Well, waht I really want is a more general solution, where I can easily
switch non-trivial environments, for instance, so I could have an "easy"
set of changes bundled to adapt to a new environment.

>if you get your friend to provide DHCP for you on his network, you can
>easily get approximately the right thing to happen when you open your
>laptop in any particular place.

Sure, but I want to be able to tell my system not to bother with dhcp, or
to use it, and I would *like* to be able to do it before the system
starts making decisions based on it.

>solving the proxies (and other configuration) problem may be a bit
>harder, depending on how you want that to be handled... but it's
>something that could easily be driven by a hacked dhcp client script.

Probably...

-s