Subject: Re: Softupdates / journaling file system?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 02/01/1999 14:56:01
On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 09:52:44PM -0500, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> I've recently encountered Kirk McKusick's softupdates stuff, and I'm curious
> if we're going to use it (or a journaling filesystem, or something equivalent)
> in NetBSD. It seems like an awfully neat way to do disk writes, although I
> haven't dug through it enough to understand it fully. (I'm still ploughing
> through "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System, and
> I have yet to be completely comfortable with everything presented in it, so
> while I'd *like* to do the work of adding it to NetBSD myself, I'm simply
> not there yet.

I did the port to NetBSD quite a while ago, and did some mild testing.
Things seemed to work, though I had to do one strange workaround.
Some time went by, I updated the code to -current. Some other people
tested it, and noticed a few problems. These need to be worked out,
but I haven't had time to look in detail yet what the cause could be.
The bugreports I got were fairly detailed, though, so hopefully
it'll be resolved soon.

- Frank