Subject: Re: Adding support for SN-5000TX network card
To: None <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: KOUCHI Takayoshi <kouchi@kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 01/31/1999 19:06:46
From: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
Subject: Adding support for SN-5000TX network card

> de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 96|256)
> de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow (raising TX threshold to 128|512)
>
> and then it hangs rock-solid (can't even break into the debugger).
>
> Since I don't know anything about Tulip chips, and this board doesn't even
> use an original one (only big part on the board is labeled "MX98713FC") I'm
> probably the wrong person to find a solution here. So I'll swap the card,
> but I'll have access to it on another PC at work, just to test drivers.

I once had a card that uses the MX98713 and tried to work on NetBSD
by modifying if_de.c, but I wasn't able to resolve
the 'abnormal interrupt' problem.  I don't have the card now.

The MX98713 chip has already been supported by FreeBSD and
ported to OpenBSD.  This driver is if_mx.c.  To work the chip
correctly, I recommend porting if_mx.c to NetBSD than modifying
if_de.c.

See http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Macronix and OpenBSD source archive.

Datasheets of MX98713 (in PDF) could be obtained from www.macronix.com,
but I cannot connect the server now....???

But I have them, if you need them, I'll send you.  Please mail me.

---
Takayoshi Kouchi