Subject: Softupdates / journaling file system?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/1999 21:52:44
Hi, all.

I've recently encountered Kirk McKusick's softupdates stuff, and I'm curious
if we're going to use it (or a journaling filesystem, or something equivalent)
in NetBSD. It seems like an awfully neat way to do disk writes, although I
haven't dug through it enough to understand it fully. (I'm still ploughing
through "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System, and
I have yet to be completely comfortable with everything presented in it, so
while I'd *like* to do the work of adding it to NetBSD myself, I'm simply
not there yet. Soon, I hope. A note from the person who added softupdates
to OpenBSD said that the port took them all of fifteen minutes. It can't be
all that bad.)

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.nws.net/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments