Subject: Softupdates / journaling file system?
To: None <>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/1999 21:52:44
Hi, all.

I've recently encountered Kirk McKusick's softupdates stuff, and I'm curious
if we're going to use it (or a journaling filesystem, or something equivalent)
in NetBSD. It seems like an awfully neat way to do disk writes, although I
haven't dug through it enough to understand it fully. (I'm still ploughing
through "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System, and
I have yet to be completely comfortable with everything presented in it, so
while I'd *like* to do the work of adding it to NetBSD myself, I'm simply
not there yet. Soon, I hope. A note from the person who added softupdates
to OpenBSD said that the port took them all of fifteen minutes. It can't be
all that bad.)

Mason Loring
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments
  dropped from day's caravan."--Rabindranath Tagore...awake ? sleep : dream;