Subject: libc versioning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/1999 21:31:05

  Throughout the 1.3 cycle we have had numerous iterations of the
libc.so.12, having had to resort to _fstat13(), etc. and link stage
renaming to deal with the problem of changing interfaces. We can't
go to libc.so.13 unless all libraries that link against libc (e.g. X,
and third parties) were rebuilt as well.

  I wonder if it is reasonable to plan to bump the major number for
NetBSD 1.4. If so, we would leave behind a libc.so.12.X with the
rename stuff, but not have to maintain all that stuff anymore (so long
as the kernel interface didn't change in incompatible ways, but that
is what COMPAT_13 should be for anyway).
  Probably somebody has already thought of this. The remaining issue
would be to make a list of things that people would like to change but
refrained from doing so. It would be *VERY* nice if immediately after
1.4, -current didn't immediately become incompatible with 1.4. (This
happened with 1.2 and 1.3)
  Just some random thoughts.

]              Have encryption. Will travel.                    |1 Fish/2 Fish[
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |Red F./Blow F[
] mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |strong crypto[