Subject: Re: /root/.termcap (was Re: tried to move /usr)
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1999 22:12:36
On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 07:38:47PM -0800, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	As mentioned by Chris - defaulting to an arbitrary (if common)
> 	term variable would be a bad thing (I have a terminal that locks
> 	up hard if it receives certain vt100 codes).

  Yep.  I concur.  It was a naive suggestion on my part!

> 	How does:
>
>         if ((ttype = getenv("TERM")) == NULL) {
>                 fprintf(stderr,"WARNING: TERM environment variable not set.\n");
>                 ttype = "unknown";
>         }
>
> 	grab people?

  Is there a good reason we don't just exit right away if TERM
isn't set?  We're going to exit once the termcap lookup for
"unknown" fails, anyway.

  If we don't exit right away, I'd still say, do a sleep(1) in
case they have a termcap alias for "unknown" set up....  :)

  Brian