Subject: long options in stuff other than pax
To: David Maxwell <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/1999 14:01:05
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, David Maxwell wrote:

: I didn't see anyone answer the question that was posed:
: Is this long option support going to grow to other commands, or is it
: only tar(pax) that will be affected?

Well, I wasn't answering that particular question - and I prefer to remain
agnostic.  (I was answering that `tar, since it has been GNU tar for ages,
whould not break people's own tar setups frivolously.')

: Count me on the side of wanting to perform....
: rm --recursive --local_system_and_other_NetBSD_installs_with_default_config \
: --type_executable_supporting_silly_long_command_line_options --type_ \
: sources_for_executables_supporting_silly_long_command_line_options --forcibly /

Well, Charles said he'd like to see them supported for compatibility with
e.g. GNU fileutils; Jason said he'd rather not see them.  So this will
probably evolve into a long and drawn out thread.... ;)

-- Todd Vierling (Personal; Bus.