Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Greg Hudson <ghudson@mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1999 15:20:05
[Apologies to those who couldn't care less about Hesiod.]

> As someone who uses HS classes extensively for distribution of mail
> aliases for 100+ virtual domains, I do *NOT* agree with what you
> say, and I agree with Jerry's comments. The fact that it has a
> seperate root means that I can quite simply control how far I will
> look for data.

Jerry's comments were about separation of administrative control, not
about how far one will look for data.  But of course DNS provides
separation of administrative control based on the domain (someone
pointed this out at the time, but was ignored), so that was a lame
argument.  So while you might agree with Jerry's comments, but those
comments have nothing to do with what you said in support.

If what you want is your own little mini-DNS which you control, just
name everything under a domain you control; don't use classes and let
everyone configure different roots so that everyone sees a different
DNS.

(At any rate, there's no technical issue in the present day.  We'll
have classes support in hesiod.conf and both of us will be happy.)