Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/24/1999 14:42:58
    Greg> default on Athena is in,hs).  Class IN is definitely preferred, since
    Greg> class HS requires that the world create an entirely new DNS hierarchy
    Greg> and teach everybody's named about its root name servers.  It's
    Greg> unfortunate that class HS ever came up in the first place; the people
    Greg> who made that decision did not apparently understand DNS
    Greg> administration very well (see
    Greg> http://www.mit.edu:8008/menelaus/hesiod/11).  But that was over a
    Greg> decade ago and this is now.

  As someone who uses HS classes extensively for distribution of mail aliases
for 100+ virtual domains, I do *NOT* agree with what you say, and I agree
with Jerry's comments. The fact that it has a seperate root means that I can
quite simply control how far I will look for data.

   :!mcr!:            |  Network and security consulting/contract programming
   Michael Richardson |         Firewalls, TCP/IP and Unix administration
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
 Corporate: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/SSW/
	ON HUMILITY: To err is human, to moo bovine.