Subject: /root/.termcap (was Re: tried to move /usr)
To: Michael bartosh <bartosh@tamu.edu>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/1999 15:00:19
On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 10:53:51AM -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
> You will need /usr/share to be accessible when you try to run 'vi'.

  [I'm cc'ing this to current-users (bcc to port-mac68k), since
my question is cross-arch.]

  Would it be a Bad Idea to install a minimal /root/.termcap that
held, say, vt100 vt220 pcvt25 pccons (and any other basic ones
for each arch)?  We mount /usr/share via NFS, and if there are
problems with the network, we can't use any editor besides ed.
All of those terminals should have fairly stable termcap
entries by now.

  Or, we could have a minimal /usr/libdata/termcap.mini, and hack
tgetent() et al to search there.  That way, upgrades would
keep the entries consistent with /usr/share/misc/termcap.  But
that (/usr/libdata/termcap.mini) is violating the principle of
least surprise, IMHO.

  Brian Grayson