Subject: Re: Build breaks, 19980120, generating LintSysNormal.c for libc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/20/1999 15:05:08
On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 01:06:43PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> A failing hard drive tends to truncate files like that. At least it
> indicates the bad blocks are being replaced. Perhaps it's time to do a
> low-level format?

Hm... It's a brand new Maxtor drive, and I've seen no other problems with it
as yet. It's also my boot disk, and it would be difficult to low-level format
it and get everything back to where it is now...

Is there any way I can check out its health non-destructively? It rarely
sees problems while running fsck...

Anyway, it seems somewhat odd that I'd see precisely the same problem each
time through, especially given that I've nuked and rebuilt my source tree,
and run sup in the interim. It would take some measure of luck for the file
being used as source for the script in question to land on the same spot
repeatedly.

I'm moving my current tree, and yet again supping from scratch. If I get the
same error with both trees in the same spot, then we can rule out the health
of my disks...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.nws.net/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments