Subject: Re: /etc/issue - 50% patch
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Kevin M. Lahey <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/19/1999 13:46:55
In message <>,
Hubert Feyrer writes:
>putting information before the login prompt via /etc/gettytab is awkward,
>having an /etc/issue file like Solaris etc. would come in handy for some
>situations. The places to implement this are getty and telnetd.
>The general idea is to have a bf=-field in /etc/gettytab for a terminal
>type, denoting a "banner file" that is displayed prior to the "im" initial
>message. Any %-macros in /etc/issue (or whatever the "bf" entry points to)
>are expanded as in the "im" message.
>A patch that does all this for getty can be found at
>, if someone wants
>to finish this for telnetd, you could make some people happy (i guess?).

Sounds great!  I just got done making getty do the right thing with
really long "im=" clauses, and this seems like a much better and simpler
solution.  I noticed that FreeBSD supplies this functionality using
the "if=" keyword, so perhaps we ought to do the same?

I'll be happy to do up the telnetd hacks.