Subject: Re: building a userland interface to a kernel structure
To: Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/1999 01:54:20
[ On Tue, January 12, 1999 at 15:09:58 (-0800), Dustin Sallings wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: building a userland interface to a kernel structure
>
> 	Yeah, I guess it would make a lot more sense if I actually
> explained what I was trying to do.  I'm making the ``only root can bind to
> ports less than 1024'' run a little more granular.

Several past discussions have occured in various forums about this
topic.  One of the most Unix-like ways of doing this would be to enhance
the "portal" filesystem [see mount_portal(8), and the code in
/usr/src/sbin/mount_portal] such that there could be some way of setting
and saving permissions and ownership on the files and directories in its
virtual namespace.  I don't know if anyone's done any further work on
this or not....

Of course you may find it easier in your application to just turn off
reserved ports completely (and disable any applications that put any
trust in such things).

--
							Greg A. Woods