Subject: Re: some observations on the peripheral market
To: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1999 18:52:13
On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, wb2oyc wrote:

> And then there's this one; the 'S' is USB isn't for Serial, its for
> SLOW!  Just wait till you put everything on it, and one device kills
> the buss....and NOTHING WORKS!  It isn't even off the ground yet and
> already there's FireWire.  Its just another way for them to get you
> to spend money to throw away what you already have, thats probably
> better, and get on board with this thing.  Its cheaper for them, and
> thats not necessarily good for you, or me.

I have to defend FireWire (a.k.a. Sony iLink, a.k.a. IEEE-1394, I think).
It's been an industry standard in digital video production for some time
now.  I've been doing video editing with Radius's FW card since late
summer or so, and the hardware's been out for quite a lot longer than
that.  I've never seen it do anything besides video, but it seems to be a
solid bus, or at least I haven't had any real trouble with it.  Even
better, Apple designed it. ;-)

However, I do agree that Apple should maintain ADB support in their future
machines, if for no other reason, then because I don't want to have to
port NetBSD's usb support to MkLinux.  ;-)

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624