Subject: -current pppd - no local route to local IP address
To: #List NetBSD current users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1999 11:05:41
I've noticed something odd with the -current version of pppd:

When I connect to my ISP, a route gets added to the ISP's end of the ppp
link via interface ppp0.  But no route gets added to point to my local
end of the link.  Therefore, pings to my own IP address end up following
the default route out to my ISP, and they never come back.  (Or, if they
_do_ come back, NetBSD simply forwards them back out the ppp0 link!)

I've been able to work around the problem by manually adding a route to
my end of the link:

	# route add <w.x.y.z> 127.0.0.1

This mimics the behaviour of my Ethernet connection, which automatically
seems to get a route for my local address pointing at lo0.

But is this the correct behaviour?  Or should pppd be adding the local
route automatically?

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |