Subject: Re: some observations on the peripheral market
To: None <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1999 17:08:39
> Personally, I'm one who's not so enthralled with USB.  The vendors love
> it because its cheap, not because its better.  Wait until you hear the
> cries from people once they've put EVERYTHING on USB (a one-bit wide buss)
> and then nothing works anymore.
I feel I have to defend USB here.  Of course, putting EVERYTHING on
USB would be utter stupidity.  It's not meant as a replacement for
SCSI, IDE, or Ethernet.  I know that there are interfaces for both for
USB, but using those for anything serious would be silly.  USB is
meant as you bus to connect keyboards, speakers, mice, printers etc.
Using it for disks is madness, in my opinion.

> And then there's this one; the 'S' is USB isn't for Serial, its for
> SLOW!  Just wait till you put everything on it, and one device kills
> the buss....and NOTHING WORKS!
One device cannot kill the bus.  That's built into how USB works.  Of
course, the host controller driver needs to do bandwidth accounting
to make sure it doesn't happen.

   -- Lennart