Subject: no error from ftp when HTTP get fails?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/1999 15:19:24
I've not yet confirmed this, but it seems as though FTP doesn't return
any error status when an HTTP connection resets.  This is what was on my
screen after trying to build /usr/pkgsrc/www/apache last night:

| 02:20 [61] $ make
| >> apache_1.3.3.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
| >> Attempting to fetch apache_1.3.3.tar.gz from http://www.apache.org/dist/.
| Requesting http://www.apache.org/dist/apache_1.3.3.tar.gz
|   4% |*                                      | 53461      2002 B/s     10:07 ETA
| 53461 bytes retrieved in 00:26 (1.95 KB/s)
| >> Checksum mismatch for apache_1.3.3.tar.gz.

While the checksum error is a very adequate place to stop when building
pkgsrc stuff, I think ftp should exit with an error code anyway if the
connection resets abnormally....

(Given my setup I'd be more than happy if the partially fetched file was
removed automatically by the pkgsrc fetch rule on any error from ftp,
but that may not be safe enough for the paranoid amongst us.)

--
							Greg A. Woods