Subject: Re: /etc/rc out of order
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Chief Anarchic Officer <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/1999 13:41:19
Curt Sampson sez:
/*
 * On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Not for internal consumption wrote:
 *
 * > I just copied and remangled the latest/greatest /etc/rc and discovered that
 * > it's trying to run pppd prior to /usr being mounted!
 *
 * Uh, perhaps because you can't mount usr if it's on the other side
 * of a modem link? :-)

Oh, ha, ha. :-,

 *
 * Seriously, this is another expression of an ordering problem: in
 * some situations you want /usr mounted  after networking has started,
 * because it's an NFS mount or something like that. In other, generally
 * more rare situations, you want it mounted before because you need
 * stuff from it before you start networking.
 *

Do we need to supply a BEFOREMOUNT/AFTERMOUNT tag to netstart?

 * Fortunately, I've just been struck by a brilliant idea. :-) Why
 * don't we mount all FFS and LFS critical file systems before we run
 * netstart, and all NFS critical filesystems after? (Alternatively,
 * we could mount all non-NFS, non-CODA ones.) If this seems a reasonable
 * solution to folks, I'll implement it in -current.
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
Rule #1 of Role Playing Gaming: